Widow is a boss that can be encountered in the Cellar. She can also be fought as a mini-boss in the Cathedral. Her appearance is similar to a Trite, which is a four-legged, four-eyed spider with an upside down face and spider like legs.
The Wretched is the posthumous version that formerly replaced Widow and can be also encountered in the third to fifth floors.
Jumps around the room to follow the player, similar to Monstro. (Unlike Monstro, however, she can jump almost twice as far and takes longer to rest before jumping again)
The Widow spits out spiders, small with the normal variant and big with the black champion variant. Widow spawns a puddle of white creep on the ground which will slow the player's movement. She often will spawn Sacks in those puddles.
- Widow can only have a maximum of two Sacks around at any given time, so it may prove beneficial to leave the Sacks alive if the player believes they can take out Widow fast enough.
- Widow has a longer recovery time from jumping than Monstro, leaving her more susceptible to damage.
- The white fluid Widow releases when spawning Sacks does not damage the player, but slows movement considerably. It is important to keep this in mind as Widow can easily close the distance when the player is stuck on it.
- Widow can be instantly killed if attacked by Mom's foot during the fight, by using the II The High Priestess tarot card.
- This may be a reference to the common act of stomping on a spider to kill it.
- Using the tarot card XIII Death or the Necromicon can take out half of Widow's health.
- If you stand right next to her (but not close to the wall), her jump will not land on you since she can't jump for a small distance.
Smaller size, twice as fast and lower HP. Regurgitates Attack Flies and spawns Boils and Guts.
Shoots projectiles similar to Loki or Peep and spawns Big Spiders as opposed to regular ones. Also leaves a black creep similar to Gish that has the same effect as the white creep used by the normal Widow variant.
- Widow can, on occasion, spawn a Sack in the wall. This Sack cannot be killed by normal means and will spawn spiders like normal. The only way to fix this is to use a XIII Death tarot card or something with a similar effect, or teleport out and restart the fight. If neither of these options is available, the only way out is dying or quitting. The only walls this has been observed happening on are the north and south walls. As of the 1.3 update, this may be fixed.
- Widow could be considered an upgraded version of Trite , both sharing the same "aimed jumping" tactic along with the upside-down face.
- This boss may be a reference to one of the forms the creature takes in John Carpenter's movie "The Thing".
- Alternatively, the Widow bares a strong resemblance to the spiders in the FPS video game "Doom 3", which have a similar upside down face.
- Edmund has confirmed on his formspring that Widow is female.
|Basement||Larry Jr. • Monstro • The Duke of Flies • Gemini • Steven • Famine|
|Cellar||Widow • Pin • The Duke of Flies • Famine • Gurdy Jr. • The Blighted Ovum|
|The Caves||Fistula • Peep • Gurdy • Chub • C.H.A.D. • Pestilence|
|Catacombs||The Husk • The Hollow • The Blighted Ovum • The Carrion Queen • Peep • Pestilence • The Wretched • Gurdy Jr.|
|The Depths||Loki • Monstro II • Gish • War • Mom|
|Necropolis||Mask of Infamy • Daddy Long Legs • The Carrion Queen • The Bloat • Loki • War • The Wretched • Mom|
|The Womb||Scolex • Blastocyst • The Bloat • Death • Conquest • Daddy Long Legs • Triachnid • Teratoma • Mom's Heart • It Lives|
|Utero||Teratoma • The Bloat • Death • Conquest • Daddy Long Legs • Triachnid • Lokii • Mom's Heart • It Lives|
|Sheol||The Fallen • Satan|
|First to fifth and seventh level||The Fallen • Headless Horseman|