Bombs can be placed at the player's feet and will detonate after 2 seconds.
Bombs deal one full heart of damage to the player, if within the blast radius.
Bombs are solid and can be pushed by the player, enemies, and tears for tricky shots and offensive purposes.
A normal bomb has an approximate blast radius of 2 squares when it detonates.
Any active bomb will reset its timer when another room is entered.
Bombs have various purposes which include:
- Destroying rocks
- Falling rocks over to form bridges over gaps
- Breaking into Secret Rooms and Top Secret Rooms
- Breaking normal doors (Will not break other doors.)
- Damaging enemies
- Destroying dungeon features such as Slot Machines, Shell Games, Beggars and Blood Donation Machines.
- Using the bomb explosion to push coins, hearts, bomb pickups or keys away from locations where they're surrounded by spikes.
The Mr. Boom activated item will drop a large bomb. Large bombs are upgraded bombs that deal more damage to enemies and have a larger blast radius (3-4 squares).
|Bobby-Bomb||Bombs follow nearby enemies, adds 5 bombs to the player's inventory|
|Mr. Mega||Upgrades all bombs to large bombs, adds 5 bombs|
|Boom!||Adds 10 bombs to the player's inventory|
|Added in Wrath of the Lamb|
|Pyro||Adds 99 bombs to the player's inventory|
|Bob's Curse||Bombs poison monsters caught in the explosion, adds 5 bombs|
Bombs can be picked up when found (unless lit) and will be added to the player's inventory. Each bomb adds 1 to the total number of bombs carried, up to a maximum of 99. Special 1+1 Free bombs can also be found which increase the number by 2. These are rarer than normal bomb pickups.
They are a reference to the popular internet meme, the trollface. It's as if the bomb is "trolling" the player when they are dropped.
Troll bombs are immune to the player's tears (not to be confused with lit normal bombs which aren't) but are solid and can be pushed around before exploding by the player or by enemies.
Troll bombs will randomly appear instead of normal bombs when generated and can be generate in random locations by using the Tower Tarot or the Anarchist's Cookbook for offensive purposes.
A Troll bomb explosion will deal normal bomb damage to enemies and 1 full heart damage to the player.
Troll bombs can also be used to destroy rocks and other obstacles, as well as open Secret Rooms.
Touching a Troll Bomb in the Wrath of the Lamb DLC now displays the message TROLOLOLO at the bottom of the screen, referencing Edward Khil's famous "I Am Very Happy Because I Am Finally Back Home", more commonly known as "Trololo".
Super Troll BombEdit
These upgraded troll bombs can follow the player over obstacles and will actively chase you until they explode a few seconds after they spawn. These have a rare chance of spawning instead of a bomb pickup but are more common in red Chests. These are also spawned by Super Pride and Super Wrath.
Added in the Wrath of the Lamb DLC.
It should be noted that if Dr. Fetus and Mr. Mega are combined the bombs you shoot (not drop) will look like super troll bombs; however, they will not follow an enemy and explode on them.
Alternatives to bombsEdit
Sometimes, instead of having to spend a bomb from an inventory, it's possible to break rocks, open regular doors or open secret rooms by other means.
Items that mitigate the need for bombsEdit
- Anarchist Cookbook or The Tower tarot card (spawns troll bombs)
- Mr. Boom (drops large bomb; takes two rooms to recharge)
- Explosive Diarrhea! pill (makes you randomly drop lit bombs on the ground, but only temporarily)
- Doctor's Remote (launches a guided missile; takes three rooms to recharge)
- X-Ray Vision (secret rooms automatically revealed and opened)
- Notched Axe (breaks a rock in front of you; takes a room to recharge)
- The Nail (breaks rocks by walking over them; takes 6 rooms to recharge)
- Bob's Rotten Head (throws a poison bomb; bad conjunction with My Reflection; takes 3 rooms to recharge)
- Best Friend (deploys exploding Isaac doll; takes 3 rooms to recharge)
- The Bible (lets you fly over rocks; takes 6 rooms to recharge)
- A Pony (lets you fly over rocks regardless of its charge level)
- White Pony (ditto)
- The Ladder (lets you walk over one-block gaps; some rooms have chests behind a rock on one side and a gap on another side)
- Lord of the Pit (grants flight)
- Holy Grail (ditto)
- Transcendence (ditto)
- Dead Dove (ditto)
- Fate (ditto)
- Spirit of the Night (ditto)
- Magneto (attracts items; works even through rocks)
Items that provide an unlimited amount of explosionsEdit
- Ipecac (gives tears poison bomb effect; bad with My Reflection)
- Kamikaze (causes you to lose one heart, unless you have an invincibility effect)
- Dr. Fetus (replaces tears with bombs)
- Epic Fetus (replaces tears with explosive missiles)
Some of these enemies can be tricky to make an explosive attack at desired location while it's easier for others. Many enemies in Wrath of the Lamb have green explosive shots which are easy to guide where you want them to.
Carrying this trinket at any time slightly increases the odds that a bomb-type item will drop upon finishing a room.
The Burnt PennyEdit
While holding this trinket, every coin collected has an approximately 50% chance of dropping a free bomb for the player.