Upon activation, Isaac will raise the candle and in the direction he wishes to fire, a blue flame will appear and deal damage to any enemies in the way as well as evaporate their projectiles. The flame can pass over Pits, but not through Rocks.
- Combined with The Battery, The Candle will charge every 1.5 seconds, with the 9 Volt, every 1.2 seconds, combined with both will make the Candle recharge every second.
- If you have too many speed ups you can use this item while walking to slow you down to get around spike hazards.
- Holding the Candle above your head can kill small flies that touch it (not tested on other enemies).
- This item is a reference to the "Blue Candle" item from the Legend of Zelda, one of the games which inspired the Binding of Isaac.
- However, The Blue Candle in The Legend Of Zelda can only be used once per screen.
- The Candle can damage Mom when used on the door she comes out from, Mom's Heart when it's not in view and hiding, and Satan when he's still in his statue form.
- The Candle also inadvertently synergizes well with the Bloody Lust item, wherein whenever it blocks enemy shots, it counts as a kill, which in turn powers up rage.
- When combined with Technology 2 as Cain, The Candle cannot be fired at all. This does not apply to other characters.
- When using The Candle and shooting it either left or right, the hair of your character will be facing in the wrong direction for a split second. This is merely a cosmetic glitch.
- The Candle can kill War and presumably Conquest while they are off screen. Though the death sound can be heard, the health meter remains on screen and they never return. As a result, the player will be trapped in the boss room with the only means of escape being teleportation items (Teleport!, Telepills, etc.)