Pestilence, one of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, is a boss which can be encountered instead of a traditional boss in the Caves and Catacombs once the player has beaten the game for the first time (killed Mom).
He is a bloated, diseased, and zombie-like being that lazily sits leaned back on his rotting steed while it carries him around. He is also the only horseman in the game to not grab his stick horse.
He will always be the boss when Book Of Revelations is used in the Caves or the Catacombs.
This boss has two main phases:
- Like Sloth, he fires a lobbed projectile similar to IPECAC, which explodes on contact with the ground and does one heart of damage. It also leaves a green glowing puddle that damages you if you step on it.
- His movement leaves a large, green creep.
- He summons Chargers and Spitties periodically.
- After reducing his health to one half, his head is destroyed, leaving his body still mounted on his horse. It still leaves the green puddles of creep wherever it goes and fires the green bombs more rapidly. Also, the horse begins to summon red and black Flies, with the same coughing sound as the Hive (to compensate for the fact that he is no longer able to summon Chargers and Spitties during this phase).
Alternative ColorsEditSpider and shoots 6 blood bullets.
- Pestilence often erroneously replaces Conquest in popular culture. Originally Conquest is the first of the four horsemen of the apocalypse as depicted in the Bible (Rev. 6:2).
- "A Forgotten Horseman" might be reference to Edmund using the biblical incorrect Horseman in the original game or the absence of Conquest in a large part of popular media.
- Occasionally, regular Pestilence will fire three of its shots at once, like a Super Sloth. It can fire as many as 5 of these shots in a rapid succession.
- Occasionally, as soon as the battle with Pestilence begins, he will fire a single IPECAC shot towards Isaac while he is in the doorway without showing his animation.
- Pestilence may glitch into the wall if you push him hard enough, rendering the fight impossible.
- May fire 6-8 of his shots at once if lag occurs.
- When poisoned, Pestilence will not turn green, but he will still take poison damage.
|Basement||Larry Jr. • Monstro • The Duke of Flies • Gemini • Steven • Famine|
|Cellar||Widow • Pin • The Duke of Flies • Famine • Gurdy Jr. • The Blighted Ovum|
|The Caves||Fistula • Peep • Gurdy • Chub • C.H.A.D. • Pestilence|
|Catacombs||The Husk • The Hollow • The Blighted Ovum • The Carrion Queen • Peep • Pestilence • The Wretched • Gurdy Jr.|
|The Depths||Loki • Monstro II • Gish • War • Mom|
|Necropolis||Mask of Infamy • Daddy Long Legs • The Carrion Queen • The Bloat • Loki • War • The Wretched • Mom|
|The Womb||Scolex • Blastocyst • The Bloat • Death • Conquest • Daddy Long Legs • Triachnid • Teratoma • Mom's Heart • It Lives|
|Utero||Teratoma • The Bloat • Death • Conquest • Daddy Long Legs • Triachnid • Lokii • Mom's Heart • It Lives|
|Sheol||The Fallen • Satan|
|First to fifth and seventh level||The Fallen • Headless Horseman|