A low-resolution pickaxe with iron blade.
Upon activation, Isaac will raise the pickaxe over his head, and hold it there until he touches a Rock, Poop, or Fireplace breaking/extinguishing it instantly. The item can only be used to break one such obstruction per room and it slows the player down by 75% during use.
In Rebirth, it instead allows Isaac to break any rocks he steps on, as long as he is holding up the pickaxe. Recharge time was increased to match the effect.
- This item is highly situational, and is considerably less useful when flying items, or The Nail have been obtained.
- It is best used for breaking tinted rocks, as well as breaking into Stone Vaults where the cost / value of the bomb is worth more than the reward.
- The item is a reference to the game Minecraft and its creator Markus "Notch" Persson.
- This is also a reference to the game Skyrim and one of its items "Notched Pickaxe". (which was itself a reference to Minecraft)
- If you pick up another activated item while the Notched Axe is activated, you will still get one free use of the axe, even if you are not holding it. In this phase, Isaac can't fire tears, so rooms with enemies will likely be difficult. Only hitting a rock or picking up an item will end this bug.