Mulligans are fairly weak enemies that appear only in the Basement, but can also be spawned by Mom. They look like people with bloated heads, and are constantly crying and whimpering.
Mulligans attempt to avoid the player as much as possible, and may even run over spikes or into fires in doing so. They don't damage the player on touch, but staying close to them is very unwise: they may commit suicide and explode (like Mulligoons) and leave 4 projectiles travelling orthogonally along with 2-4 random flies.
They are sometimes replaced by their gray-colored counterparts, known as Mulligoons, but they can be seen in the same room together.
The chance of them suiciding becomes more possible when they're in corners.
They explode into 4 projectiles in an X pattern and leave a troll bomb on death. If they choose to explode, they do so into 6 projectiles instead of 4.
It is sometimes believed that Hives are an evolved version of Mulligoons/Mulligans.
- Runs away from player
- Does not deal touch damage
- May randomly commit suicide and burst, shooting six 1/2 heart damaged ranged arrows
- On death drops a troll bomb and a 1/2 heart damage ranged attack in an X
You can try chasing them to a wall that is likely to lead to a secret room to make use of their troll bomb. This can be especially profitable when encountered in the basement when you don't have any bombs yet.
Mullibooms have a bomb wedged into their head. Instead of avoiding the player like their other variants, they will charge at Isaac and explode on contact, dealing 1 half heart of damage. They also explode immediately if they are killed, so as with Boom Flies, make sure to keep a safe distance when delivering the lethal shot, and consider killing them next to a wall that might be adjacent the Secret Room.
- 'Mulligans were created in order to make the player feel bad about killing them
- A Mulligan is a rule in many card games. If a player's starting hand is considered too bad, they are alowed to shuffle back their hand into the deck and draw a new set of cards.
- In Edmund's words: "The mulligans in isaac are born so messed up they should get a do over.. basically."1
- Originally, explosions from Mullibooms inflicted one full heart of damage. After many complaints about layouts where avoiding damage seemed impossible (which on the Basement often resulted in frustrating deaths), Edmund reduced their damage to 1/2 heart. This makes their explosions the only kind that does not inflict a full heart of damage.
- Hives are an evolved form of Mulligans/Mulligoons.
- The item The Mulligan somewhat gives you the appearance of a Mulligan.