Magdalene is a low risk but low reward character. She has average rate of fire and damage, but she starts out slow. To compensate, Magdalene starts with four Heart Containers and a Yum Heart item. Magdalene primarily specializes in health and restoration, but as a player progresses through each level she can potentially become one of the strongest characters a player can setup and due to her ease of finding hearts and with already average stats, she is generally suited to a more defensive/careful player.
- Try to get a speed up as quickly as possible, such as a Speed Up pill, Goat Hoof, or The Belt.
- Having four starting Heart Containers allows you to make a deal in the Devil Room early. Don't miss a good item in there, especially since getting the Devil Room in the first place is going to be more difficult for Magdalene than other characters.
- With her unusual high health and Yum Heart as a way of health restoration, one should use the Blood Donation Machine as much as possible in hopes of getting the Blood Bag, which acts as a speed up and health up at the same time.
- As Magdalene starts with a large health pool, visiting Sacrifice Rooms and Curse Rooms is usually recommended, especially if there are hearts lying around or Yum Heart charge to replenish any lost health.
- The Habit is a good item in conjunction with Magdalene's Yum Heart as it means she is virtually invincible up to The Womb. Also, with this item combination, she can exploit Blood Donation Machines for unlimited coins and a chance at a Blood Bag or IV Bag.
- The Wafer will allow you to use the Yum Heart + Habit combination even after The Depths 2.
- Watch out for Lust. Maggy, due to her initial low movement speed, moves slower than Lust so you have to run around corners often in order to shake her off. Using the Yum Heart is not advised, because it forces Maggy to stop for a moment.
- Wooden Spoon
- The Belt
- Growth Hormones
- Roid Rage
- Mini Mushroom
- The Virus
- A Pony or White Pony (Wrath of the Lamb)
- Razor Blade
- The Mark
- Odd Mushroom (Thin)
- IV Bag (Wrath of the Lamb)
- Guppy's Paw (Wrath of the Lamb)
- Habit (Wrath of the Lamb)
- Child's Heart (Wrath of the Lamb/Trinket)
- Little C.H.A.D.
- Blood Bag
- The Halo
- Magic Mushroom