Judas is a glass cannon. His very high damage output, easily the best of any of the starting characters, is offset by his single heart of health and mediocre speed, which makes him incredibly vulnerable. As such, he can be a pain to get past the first few stages, especially if you're too busy dodging to land any hits.
- More so than for any of the other characters, defensive items are crucial for a successful Judas playthrough. Bomb tinted rocks whenever you see them to collect Soul Hearts, and generally avoid making deals with the devil unless you've got enough health to survive comfortably after a deal.
- Ironically however, Judas has one of the best chances of all characters in the game of spawning a Devil Room (91% if no damage was taken on that floor while holding The Book Of Belial). You can then turn down deals from the devil to get a chance for Angel Room items in the Wrath of the Lamb expansion, which are of no consequence to your health.
- With The Book of Belial, he can take down any of the bosses in The Basement or The Caves within a minute or two. Don't be afraid to keep the book until late floors.
- Items and pill effects that increase his rate of fire make him even more deadly.
- Judas's three starting coins don't have much late-game impact and aren't terribly useful (certainly less so than a bomb or a key), but they can give you a nice starting boost if a Shop or gambling-heavy strategy becomes viable. At worst, they can always be chucked into a slot machine or given to a beggar for the chance of a pickup or an item.
As mentioned previously, avoid devil room deals early on. You need all the health you can get as Judas.
- The Book of Belial
- Any health upgrades (Dinner, Raw Liver, MEAT!, etc)
- Book of Revelations
- Chocolate Milk
- Spoon Bender
- The Wafer
- The Battery and/or 9 Volt
- A Pony, White Pony, Transcendence, or Lord of the Pit
- The Nail
- Steam Sale
- Deck of Cards
- The Hourglass
- A Lump Of Coal
- Ouija Board
- Book of Shadows
- The Gamekid
- My Little Unicorn
- IV Bag (only if you have heart pickups to spare, or invincibility granting items such as The Gamekid, My Little Unicorn, or Book of Shadows)
- Dead Cat (if you only have one heart container, as it will essentially function as extra lives early in a playthrough)
- Infestation (Initially)
- Holy Water (Initially)
- Lemon Mishap (Initially)
- Razor Blade
- Blood Rights