Isaac's strength lies in his relatively high starting health but his other stats are average.
Isaac gains a very distinctive advantage when he obtains The Dice.
- For advanced players, it's not as risky to make a deal in the Devil Room early on as with most of the other playable characters due to relatively high starting health. However, note that the Angel Room essentially has only two or three "bad" items (the Bible and the Prayer Card if you want to hold on to the Dice), so bringing a fully charged dice into the Angel Room almost guarantees a good item (since if you get one of those items you can just reroll it).
The Dice Isaac StrategyEdit
- "Rerolling" doesn't mean that you'll always get a better item. In many cases it's better to just get the item, because it's often not worth it to swap a bad item for something that could be even worse.
- It is advisable on the earlier floors, where there is less danger, to explore all the rooms on the floor to charge The Dice in case a reroll is needed.
The earlier you find the Boss Room, Item Room or the Shop, the better as it allows more chances to reroll the items. This doesn't apply for Mom as you can't exit her room after beating her (unless carrying Teleport! , Cursed Skull , 0 The Fool , IX The Hermit , XVII The Stars , XVIII The Moon , IV The Emperor , or a Telepill).
- Collect passive items early on.
- Use The Dice for stat increases instead of trading it for other items on the first floor.
- It's usually recommended to exchange The Dice for another activated item before going to fight Mom in the The Depths 2 as the floors after it don't have Shops or Item Rooms. However, if the player is going to The Chest, it may be worth holding on to The Dice to reroll the items in the Golden Chests.
- Curse Rooms and Secret Rooms are more likely to pay off if they contain an item. The Secret Room is quite viable for an early reroll as Isaac starts with a bomb.
- Most Passive items, as they don't replace the Dice
- Activated Items (early on), for the same reason