I AM ERROR is a useful, but very rare special room which can be accessed by using a teleport. There is a 6.66%(1/15) chance of going to this room on teleporting only from Telepills. You will never be teleported to the I AM ERROR room from using Tarot Card or Teleport!. (Confirmed from v1.48 Source Code)
Inside, you'll find a flashing and twitching figure that resembles the shopkeeper, but has a black forelock and a beard, as well as a violet shirt, saying "I AM ERROR". The room background will also constantly flicker and occationally flash to one of the possible backgrounds of the chapter you are currently in.
The room will have a trap door which takes you straight to the next floor. The trap door is the only way out of the room, unless you use the item Teleport!, Telepills or any tarot card that has a teleportation effect (The Fool, The Moon, The Stars, The Hermit, The Joker or The Emperor). Keep this in mind when you use pills, so you don't accidentally teleport yourself out if there are still identified pills or other items laying around.
The room can contain the following:
- A random free item and 9 random pills.
- A random free item and 4 (unlocked) treasure chests.
- A random free item, 13 coins, and 3 priced things that can be items or pickups.
- This includes items that cannot usually be bought in the shop. (Whether any item or just a broader array of items is available needs confirmation.)
- Two random free items.
- Two priced items and 5 coins.
- Getting teleported to the Error Room in Sheol or in The Chest will keep you trapped, since there will be no trap door to leave.
- You can get to The Womb via the Error Room without having beaten Mom; this might be unintentional. The same is true for Mom's Heart, although early access is possible here by normal means through the Devil Room.
- The Error Room in The Womb/Utero 2 will only have a trap door to Sheol, and not a beam of light to Cathedral as well.
- If you kill Mom's Heart, then teleport into an Error Room, then kill Satan, it will count as two mom kills and will give you two game win items. It will also give you three (if not unlocked) endings, two for the items you unlocked, and one for Ending 11.
- If the trapdoor is used on The Caves in the demo, (the final level in the demo) it ends the demo.
- The 6.66% probability is most likely based on the number of the beast (666)
- The room is a reference to the Zelda II: The Adventure of Link for the NES, which contains a character saying "I AM ERROR." This also evolved into a meme.
- The appearance of the figure in this room is heavily based on this character, and might even represent him.
|Rooms in the Wrath of the Lamb|