Hearts, are Pick Ups the replenish the player's health. If a player runs out of red hearts (or in ??? 's case, soul hearts) they will die and view Isaac's last will, unless the player has Guppy the dead cat, the Ankh or a 1-Up.
Regular heart pickups (or red hearts) are divided into half hearts and full hearts. These have an equal chance of spawning. Half hearts heal 1/2 heart container, while full hearts heal a whole container. They can be found after a boss battle or killing all the enemies in a room. certain Items can give the player a new heart container, like the Holy Grail or Rotten meat.
Full Hearts cost 3 coins in the shop (2 when on sale).
Soul hearts are a rarer form of heart that may randomly appear instead of red hearts or found in shops. They also sometimes spawn after blowing up a tinted rock.
Soul hearts function as a form of armor for the player, absorbing damage that they take so that the player does not lose any HP. Once a soul heart is obtained, all normal damage removes soul hearts until their supply is depleted. Each soul heart adds a full container and can take a full heart's worth of damage before being lost. Soul hearts may be increased beyond the maximum visible level of HP and will still be counted even though they are not shown. ??? uses soul hearts entirely as his health. The soul hearts is a reference to Forsaken, where shield overdrives have a similar function, and the red hearts, are a reference to hull. However, hull could not be replenished, unlike red hearts.
Additionally, three soul hearts may occasionally be spent in the Devil Room to purchase an item. Soul hearts in the shop cost 5 coins, 3 when on sale. another note is that 1/2 spirit hearts do not exist as a pickup in game (Even with Wrath of the lamb) Unlike red hearts, as 1/2 red hearts can be found in the game.
A heart has a chance of spawning as a soul heart based on these rules:
- 10% chance for it to become a soul heart.
- If playing as Eve, an additional 6.25% chance.
- If playing as ???, an additional chance between 30 and 50%.
- If holding the Mom's Pearl trinket, an additional 5% chance.
- If holding the Mitre, an additional 50% chance.
In the expansion, eternal hearts can also spawn in the place of a regular heart. They act as a soul heart until two halves become a whole, or the player moves onto the next floor (also works when the Forget Me Now is used), turning it into a permanent heart container. Eternal Hearts alone are not enough to prevent death. If you have no regular hearts (from playing with ??? or using Guppy's Paw) and have an eternal heart, you will still die if you lose all soul hearts, but if you use an extra life to come back you will still have the eternal heart. Eternal Hearts can also be found in the Chapel room. In fact, all hearts spawned in that room will be Eternal, which makes for good use of the Portable Slot.
A heart has a 2% chance of spawning as an eternal heart. The game rolls for soul hearts after eternal hearts, meaning this probability is actually slightly lower.
It is possible to lose eternal hearts by getting hurt by enemies and blood banks: precisely, blood banks take eternal hearts before any other type of hearts, but getting hurt by an enemy takes first soul hearts, then eternal heart and eventually normal hearts.
Magneto will only attract eternal hearts when health is not full (Like red hearts).
- Infrequently, progressing onto the next stage while carrying an eternal heart may cause the game to freeze.
Chance to find any heart pickupEdit
- Completing rooms
- Champion enemies
- Chests (1 to few)
- Slot machines
- Shell games (2 at a time)
- Bosses (2 at the start, 1 when "Everything's Terrible" is unlocked. Extra heart is gotten from Champion forms.
- Justice tarot card (will spawn a full heart in the womb-themed top secret room and an eternal heart in the cathedral-themed top secret room)
- Little C.H.A.D. (Spawns one half heart after every two rooms)
- Charm of the Vampire (Heals one half heart after killing 13 enemies)
- Isaac's Fork trinket (10% of healing one half heart after every room)
- Yum Heart (heals a full heart on use, 4 room recharge)
- Bloody Penny trinket (50% of spawning a half heart on every coin pickup)
- Womb-themed top secret room.
- Shop (costs 3 coins or 2 when on sale)
Items that spawn them
- Tinted rocks (may spawn 1 or 2)
- Fortune Telling Machine (may spawn 1)
- Red Chest. (may spawn 1 or 2)
- The Relic (spawns one every 4 rooms)
- The Hierophant tarot card (spawns 2)
- Squeezy (spawns 2)
Items that give them
- The Nail (6 room recharge, additional effects)
- Book of Revelations (6 room recharge, additional effects)
- Crystal Ball (6 room recharge, may give cards instead, additional effects)
- The Mark (damage increase)
- The Pact (+2 SH, damage and tears increase)
- Rosary (+3 SH, additional effects)
- Super Bandage (+2 SH and +1 HP)
- Balls of Steel Pill (2 Soul Hearts)
- Guppy's Paw (3 in exchange for a heart container)
- Cathedral-themed top secret room
- Prayer Card (6 room recharge)
- Maggy's Faith (1 at the start of each new floor)