Gurdy is one of the four bosses that you can face in the Caves levels. She is a static boss that remains stationary in the middle of the room. When you enter the boss room, Gurdy is usually there with a few boils and flies of random variety.
- The basic attack, Gurdy's head disappears from the top and re-appears on the side of her body in the direction the player is closest to, then shoots a 5-shot spread at him while croaking out her name.
- Gurdy can also summon large flies out of the pores on her body periodically to attack. On occasion she will also spawn a Pooter/Fat Fly out of the larger pore on the right side of her body.
- Gurdy's head goes to the top of the body, raises her arms, and summons two boils in front of her.
While engaging in a battle with Gurdy look out for the following:
- Since Gurdy does not move, she is balanced out by having a large amount of health to take down. This means that any items that improve your projectile damage output will shorten this fight significantly. This also gives you a good time to use bombs if you have any to spare, since you are guaranteed to hit and take a good chunk of health off of Gurdy.
- It is preferable to take out any of the other mobs that Gurdy summons during the fight before focusing on her, such as flies and boils, so that they do not cause problems later on.
- Sometimes rocks will partially block your side paths, so that dodging Gurdy's shots becomes even more annoying. It may be worth it to clear them with bombs at the start of the battle (and hurting Gurdy in the process).
- A good strategy is to go on top (highest north) and spray her down. The only thing you have to worry about using this strategy is the projectiles caused by the puster, and the boil if on the left or right of her, which can easily be killed.
- You can try getting behind her. She won't fire any bullets at you and most boils will not reach this area, but you will have to be careful not to get hit by flies she spawns.
- Another good strategy is to kill all of the enemies first, and go to a side you choose. That will cause Gurdy to shoot at you, but will take some time. Go to the other side to dodge her attack. Keep repeating, and Gurdy will be killed. This strategy will not work if Gurdy has a alternate color. (below Trivia)
In this form, she does not spew blood; instead, she will continously spawn various flies and boils.
- Concentrating on the flies is not advised - Gurdy will just spawn more. Taking out the boils, however, is a good idea.
- It's advisable to stand along the wall on her left side, since all large flies will spawn on the right (they will mostly hover over there, very rarely traveling into the range they need to become aggressive to you).
- Gurdy was confirmed to be female by Edmund on Formspring
- Gurdy appears in the demo.
- The process by which Gurdy's head reappears when she performs her basic attack is described as "birthing" in the Unholy Edition art booklet.
- Gurdy is also known simply as "the Pile" according to the Unholy Edition art booklet.
- According to Edmund, her name came from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). In-universe, it most likely derives from the horrific noise made when it launches a projectile attack, which sounds like someone saying "gurdy" while belching.
- According to Edmund, Gurdy is based on a story centered around the D&D controversy in which a woman claimed she was thrown into a well filled with dead children; Gurdy was originally going to be composed of dead children, but it was later decided to make her out of innards, to make it less horrifying.
|Basement||Larry Jr. • Monstro • The Duke of Flies • Gemini • Steven • Famine|
|Cellar||Widow • Pin • The Duke of Flies • Famine • Gurdy Jr. • The Blighted Ovum|
|The Caves||Fistula • Peep • Gurdy • Chub • C.H.A.D. • Pestilence|
|Catacombs||The Husk • The Hollow • The Blighted Ovum • The Carrion Queen • Peep • Pestilence • The Wretched • Gurdy Jr.|
|The Depths||Loki • Monstro II • Gish • War • Mom|
|Necropolis||Mask of Infamy • Daddy Long Legs • The Carrion Queen • The Bloat • Loki • War • The Wretched • Mom|
|The Womb||Scolex • Blastocyst • The Bloat • Death • Conquest • Daddy Long Legs • Triachnid • Teratoma • Mom's Heart • It Lives|
|Utero||Teratoma • The Bloat • Death • Conquest • Daddy Long Legs • Triachnid • Lokii • Mom's Heart • It Lives|
|Sheol||The Fallen • Satan|
|First to fifth and seventh level||The Fallen • Headless Horseman|