Thus, it is a very advantageous ability that often makes it far easier for the player to dodge enemies or their projectiles. This is especially true when the monsters can't fly themselves, occasionally making rocks and particularly pits a safe place to stay (when fighting Globins, for example). Having spectral shots (e.g. through the Ouija Board) can help too, since this allows shooting tears when flying above rocks.
Items That Grant Flight
- Lord Of The Pit (found in the Devil Room)
- Transcendence (found in the Secret Room)
- A Pony/White Pony (Always dropped by the Headless Horseman/Conquest. Will give permanent flight as long as it stays in the spacebar slot.)
- Holy Grail (Wrath of the Lamb)
- Fate (WotL)
- Spirit Of The Night (WotL, also grants spectral tears)
- Dead Dove (WotL, also grants spectral tears)
- Collecting 3 Guppy items in one playthrough will give Isaac permanent flight. (WotL)
These items only grant flight for the duration of one room when used:
- The Bible
- The Pinking Shears
- Dead Sea Scrolls (very rarely, since it gives a random effect.)
- XII The Hanged Man (Tarot Card)
- All flies:
- Headless Horseman heads
These monsters don't have the ability to fly, yet move in hops to get over obstacles.
- The Duke of Flies
- The Husk (WotL)
- Fistula (cannot fly over Rocks)
- Teratoma (WotL)
- The Hollow (WotL)
- Loki, Lokii (Visually only)
- The Fallen
- All Horsemen:
- Unlike other obstacles, Keystones will still block Isaac, even if he has flight.
- The same is also true for Cobwebs, which still slow Isaac down, even with flight.
- The Ladder allows "building bridges", which allows Isaac to ge across pits with the length of a single tile.
- Except for a level 3 and 4 Meat Boy, all Familiars have the ability to fly.
- The Mask + Heart enemy appears to have flight, but it cannot actually fly over obstacles.