|“||And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name was Death, and Hell followed with him.||”|
Death is one of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. He is a boss which can be encountered at the end of The Womb and Utero 1 once the player has beaten the game for the first time (killed Mom). He looks like an eyeless, gray humanoid-like being with a skinny, pale grey body and a hollow skull, riding a skeletal stick horse. His blood is also completely black. He will surround himself with the Grim Reaper's trademark weapon: the scythe.
This boss has two main phases:
- At first, Death rides on his horse, attacking by either summoning a quartet of scythes that travel across the room or summoning a pair of scythes that chase the player. With careful aim and enough firepower, the scythes can be shot down, which may be easier than dodging.
- During the fight, Death is also capable of using the item The Hourglass against the player, reducing movement speed and slowing down tears for a few seconds.
- When the boss reaches 50% health, he dismounts from his horse, which flies to the right and appears again on the left in lower position (if it can't go lower, it goes to the top, much like War's attack) and continues to the right, repeating the process until killed. Meanwhile, Death will spawn Knights to attack the player. The horse is not part of Death's healthbar, but is considerably hearty and must be destroyed along with his summoned minions to finish the battle.
- While unmounted, Death can summon pairs of Knights who are killed if his horse happens to run into them. He also has a slight chance of summoning the newer version that charges when it sees you.
- Death is immune to the Death tarot card and The Necronomicon.
Death, like all of the horsemen, leaves the Cube of Meat upon defeat.
Alternative ColorsEditKamikaze Leeches. While separated from his horse, he periodically spawns two Red Maws instead of Knights.
- Death's summoning of whirling scythes (and possibly even his use of the Hourglass item) is most likely a reference to the Castlevania series of video games, where the Grim Reaper (also under the name of Death) features as a boss and uses an identical scythe-shot attack in every Castlevania game he appears in.
- The Black version of Death may be a reference to the Black Death that plagued Europe during the Dark Ages.
- Death's head resembles the 'planet face' of Chapter 6: The End in Super Meat Boy, which also appears as a skull.
- It's possible that he has some authority over the Knight enemies, as he summons them at will during his second phase.
- It seems that Death can sometimes be pushed too far through the wall and then cannot be killed and will continue summoning scythes until the player loses. This glitch can actually happen to ALL Horsemen. However, Conquest, War and Famine can break out because of their dash attack. Death and Pestilence lack it and will essentially cost you a life if you push them into the wall. However, it's simple enough to avoid.
- There is a rare graphical glitch where the summoned scythes will look like Death instead of their normal appearance. (They still act the same as regular scythes).
- It appears that when Death uses The Hourglass, it does not affect the speed of charging up Brimstone.
- When Death spawns scythes, if you are standing where they spawn, they will be instantly destroyed.
|Basement||Larry Jr. • Monstro • The Duke of Flies • Gemini • Steven • Famine|
|Cellar||Widow • Pin • The Duke of Flies • Famine • Gurdy Jr. • The Blighted Ovum|
|The Caves||Fistula • Peep • Gurdy • Chub • C.H.A.D. • Pestilence|
|Catacombs||The Husk • The Hollow • The Blighted Ovum • The Carrion Queen • Peep • Pestilence • The Wretched • Gurdy Jr.|
|The Depths||Loki • Monstro II • Gish • War • Mom|
|Necropolis||Mask of Infamy • Daddy Long Legs • The Carrion Queen • The Bloat • Loki • War • The Wretched • Mom|
|The Womb||Scolex • Blastocyst • The Bloat • Death • Conquest • Daddy Long Legs • Triachnid • Teratoma • Mom's Heart • It Lives|
|Utero||Teratoma • The Bloat • Death • Conquest • Daddy Long Legs • Triachnid • Lokii • Mom's Heart • It Lives|
|Sheol||The Fallen • Satan|
|First to fifth and seventh level||The Fallen • Headless Horseman|