(Not to be confused with the Boss Challenge Room)
The challenge room can be recognized by the Gauntlet Door (a pair of crossed swords above the doorway). It can only be entered if the player is at full health (or the equivalent of full health, made up with Soul Hearts), or has the item The Nail. It is also possible to enter the challenge room without full health if it borders a secret room and you blow up the wall in the secret room that leads to the challenge room; however, you can't use bombs to exit the gauntlet room until you have finished it.
Note that full health is necessary regardless of the number of hearts available at the start of the level. Using items that increase health in order to reach the level of red hearts that would have represented full health at the start of the level will be insufficient. For example, if the player starts the level with 5 red hearts, and subsequently upgrades to a life maximum of 6 hearts, then 6 hearts will be necessary to enter the challenge room.
Once inside, the player will find a chest or an item. Upon opening the chest or picking up the item, the player will have to defeat three waves of enemies (or bosses on later levels) before being able to exit the room, and like normal room filled with enemies, a pickup may spawn in the center after defeating all enemies. This room can appear from the second level onwards.
The waves of enemies spawned depends on the floor, and it's randomly chosen between two available ones.
As of Wrath of the Lamb v1.15, players who have obtained the ability to fly are no longer able to fly in and out of locked challenge rooms.
- 4x Flies
- 4x Pooters
- 2x Gapers
- 3x Hoppers
- 3x Horfs
- 2x Clotties
- 5x Spities
- 3x Hives
- 3x Hosts
- 5x Chargers
- 4x Globins
- 4x Maws
- 3x Babies
- 5x Hoopers
- 4x Knights
- 3x Vis
- 4x Leapers
- 4x Globins
- 3x Larry Jr. (2 segments)
- 2x Monstros
- Even though the game shows Larry Jr. with only 2 segments, he will in fact have 3, with one "shielding" the second visible one.
- You can spawn more waves at the same time by doing one of the following things:
- Pressing pause immediately after taking the loot from the room
- Unlocking something just as the waves are going to spawn
- Using an activated item
- It is possible to teleport out of a challenge room, just as any other room. After teleporting out, the enemies will disappear (i.e. will not be present upon reentry). However, if the enemies are not destroyed and instead evaded in this way, they will respawn upon pickup of a collectible item.
- For example, the challenge room may feature the Teleport! item in the centre of the room. It is possible to pick up this item and immediately use it to avoid fighting the enemies. However, reentering the room and swapping out your Teleport! item back for the original item you left behind (if you swapped them upon pickup) will cause enemies to spawn.
- If you use Dad´s Key to escape a challenge room, the game´s music for the challenge room will keep on playing until either the music ends (confirmed) or the challenge room is reentered (unconfirmed).
- Challenge rooms are only spawned if the player has full hp when the level is generated (soul hearts will add up as well).
- Challenge Rooms allow for the possibility to pick up two identical items on the same floor.
- The first wave will also spawn if you pick up an item spawned by a Blood Donation Machine or a Beggar.
|Rooms in the Wrath of the Lamb|